A half strength jobbing fount of 14-point Cochin.
The striking appearance of Cochin derives from the lettering used on the steel plates of the French engravers of the eighteenth century, among the most celebrated of whom was Nicolas Cochin (1715-91). Deberny & Peignot cut the design as a typeface in 1912, as did the Ludwig & Meyer and the Amsterdam foundries subsequently, and it became available from the Caslon foundry as Nicolas Cochin, a delightfully eccentric type; Frances Meynell described it as ‘singing and shining from the page’.
Cochin’s success encouraged the Lanston Monotype Company of Philadelphia to issue it in 1916, and the English Monotype Corporation brought out their version in 1927, the one shown here. It was an old favourite of Morison’s who had in 1920 introduced Nicolas Cochin at the Pelican Press (it was used for the Press’s letter heading), and who later allowed it to be used for headings on the women’s pages of The Times.